Books for "Space Time and the Cosmos" FYS
REQUIRED TEXTBOOK: The required textbook for the course is The Fabric of the Cosmos (and I am looking into whether it can be incorporated into the "Perusall" system ( http://www.perusall.com/ ) to facilitate online discussions.
FOR OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL READING
- The Big Picture (A very thoughtful discussion about many big questions, a runner up for the required book for this course, but the focus is a bit different than I wanted.)
- The Whole Shebang (I wonderful account of modern cosmology by a prizewinning writer)
- A Universe from Nothing (I have not read this, but colleague recommended it. Also, I know the author is very talented at communicating
- Coming of Age in the Milky Way (More about the historical development of science. Beautifully captures the joy and sense of adventure I feel about doing science.)
- One, Two, Three Infinity (A fun discussion of specific questions, especially links to mathematics.)
Unfortunately I do not frequently read popular level books on my specialty. I would be glad to hear recommendations of books you especially like.